Día de la Raza -- National Holiday
1. Information and power is dominated by only a few languages
- between 50% and 95% of the world’s approximately 6,800 languages face extinction
- 90% of the world’s languages are not represented on the Internet
2. Trade in cultural products - from books to television to Internet - is heavily imbalanced in favour of the developed countries.
- 5 countries monopolize the world’s
- nearly half of the world’s countries have never made their own film
3. There is a growing Literacy gap between developed and under developed countries.
- 2/3 of humanity is excluded from building the global knowledge base
It is important to learn about Colombia, its culture, its people, its languages, its food, and teach your child/ren about the same.
Mahatma Gandhi, Indian philosopher and Statesman once wrote:
‘I do not want my house to be walled in on all sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the culture of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.’