Hacer el Oso -- A Language Lesson


On Monday, I mentioned that my husband does not like to HACER EL OSO. I was surprised when I got a few e-mails asking me what this means. Here is a brief lesson in Colombian Spanish.



HACER EL OSO -- literally means to MAKE THE BEAR. So right away you can guess that this is an idiomatic expression that means something else. In Colombia, it means to EMBARRASS YOURSELF or to MAKE YOURSELF LOOK RIDICULOUS.



You can often hear people saying things like, "Uy! Que Oso!" This means, "Wow! You just really embarrassed yourself."
clip art:

http://classroomclipart.com/cgi-bin/kids/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Clipart/Animals/Bear_Clipart&image=bear_179.jpg&img=12&tt=

Comments

Notorious MLE said…
Totally new idiom for me. Will start using it immediately and constantly.

Popular posts from this blog

Popular Colombian Names

Most Common Last Names in Colombia

Most Popular Female Baby Names in Colombia -- 2000-2010