Myths for Monday -- Bufeo Colorado

I really like writing series posts. There is so much information to cover, but it helps give me focus. So, here is to the new Series, Myths for Monday. I want to write a myth common in each Colombian Department. This week, I'll start with Amazonas.

The Bufeo Colorado


The Indigenous peoples of the Amazon region (in Colombia and other Amazon countries) have myth that surrounds the Pink Dolphins (Bufeo Colorado) of the Amazon river. There are several different versions of the story, but the basic premise remains the same.

According to the legend, the Bufeo Colorado can change into the shape of a handsome man. As a man, the Bufeo Colorado tries seduce beautiful young girls who live along the river. Typically, the girl is enchanted by the man and becomes his lover. She eventually becomes pregnant.

In some versions, the man disappears. In others, certain circumstances happen that convert him back into a dolphin on dry land and he is killed.

Either way, the girl eventually gives birth to a pink dolphin or a half human / half pink dolphin child.

The story is used by the people to warn girls not to be seduced by strange men.

Comments

Anonymous said…
THIS WILL BE INTERESTING FOR MY SON WHO JUST GOT THE FEBRUARY 2011 RANGER RICK MAGAZINE. THE BUFEO COLORADO -- AMAZON DOLPHIN IS ON THE COVER. I THINK I'LL JUST TELL HIM THAT THE INDIANS IN THE AMAZON THINK THAT THE DOLPHIN CAN CONVERT TO A MAN AT NIGHT. :)
Colombian Mommy said…
Yeah, my son just got a copy too. I'm sure the content of the myth is a bit over the head of my Kindergartener too. I like your suggestion, I'll give it a try.

Popular posts from this blog

Popular Colombian Names

Most Common Last Names in Colombia

La Madremonte